The city is known for the Place Stanislas (XVIII°), which was opened April 2005 by Jacques Chirac after refurbishment. This large pedestrianized square is named after the king of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and duke of Lorraine Stanisław Leszczyński. Together with the Place de la Carrière, and Place d'Alliance the UNESCO added it on the World Heritage Sites list in 1983.
The Place Stanislas is known colloquially as the 'Place Stan'. The square is 125 meters long and 106 meters wide. It is paved with light ochre stones, with two lines of darker stones forming a diagonal cross motif and is surrounded by an architecturally harmonious ensemble of buildings.
The four corners and West and East sides of the square feature gilded wrought iron gates and lanterns, created by Jean Lamour (1698-1771), who was also responsible for the wrought iron balustrade on the main staircase in the Hôtel de Ville and the balcony across the center of its main façade. The Northwest and Northeast corners also feature ornate fountains designed by Barthélémy Guibal (1699-1757).
The old city centre's heritage dates from the Middle Ages to the 18th century. The Cathedral of Nancy, the Triumphal Arch and the "Place de la Carrière" are examples of 18th century architecture.